Combined Review of Illuminae and Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

I recently decided to branch out a bit and read some science fiction.  I generally don't read too many, but The Illuminae Files by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff had great reviews. I am happy to say that these books live up to the hype.  Both get 5 stars from me and I have individual reviews up on goodreads, too.



It took me a little while to get used to reading Illuminae, so don't give up on it.  It gets easier to follow as you continue.  The writing is different.  The book is told through e-mails, chats, transcripts, etc.  There are quite a few characters, ship names, corporations, etc to learn and it did confuse me a bit in the beginning.  It could be the format or just that I haven't really read sci fi in awhile.  The book really picks up pace a couple hundred pages in and I didn't want to put it down.  

Illuminae takes place is 2575.  Kady and Ezra had just broken up when their planet was attacked and people had to evacuate quickly.  Many didn't survive.  Kady and Ezra ended up on different ships and start chatting when they can.  Kady is really good with technology and has been hacking to find out more information.  Ezra's ship had a weird outbreak that made the people completely crazy and violent.  Both ships are also being followed by the enemy.  Ezra and Kady start working together to find a way to help everyone survive.  There are still quite a few people that die.  Some that I liked. And that ending was crazy good!



Gemina started off easier for me.  Probably because I finally got used to the format of the book.  This one is also told in a similar way with added journal entries and drawings.  This book has two new main characters, Hanna and Nik.  They are both on the same space station, Heimdall.  Hanna's dad is the captain.  She's a bit spoiled, but smart and athletic. Nik is a bad boy (I loved him) with a good heart.  He's from a crime family and gets drugs for Hanna and her friends to party with.  Hanna and Nik were meeting up for a drug exchange when the ship was invaded.  They get separated, but they are able to communicate with the help of Nik's cousin, Ella.  They must all work together to defeat the intruders and find out why they are there.  Gemina is full of action.  It's a bit violent, but in a good way.  I had a hard time putting this book down and the pacing is really good.  There is contact with people from the first book, but I don't want to ruin any of that for you.  I went through all kinds of emotions during this book.  From tears to "holy shit" moments, it was just so good.  There is also a creepy parasite that freaked me out every time it was mentioned. 




I absolutely cannot wait for the third book in the trilogy.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of The Stolen Marriage by Diane Chamberlain (digital arc copy)

Thank you for checking out my new blog!